For some weird reason, "Riding Habit" popped into my head and stayed there. Perhaps it was memories of a 4th of July on which I rode my horse as part of the festivities. (Alack, that could not be the case this year.) Anyway, I went to Pinterest and scrolled. I ended up with two main gowns to base my own off:
Anyway, the red one is essentially a copy of English Noblewoman Lady Wolsey's famous ensemble. The green one is more "average". I based mine off both of these. My waist-coat from the green, the overall military-eque lines from the red. Also, similarly, but contrary to the Redcoat, I chose Continental Blue and Buff for my riding habit.
Choosing what I was going to make was the easy part. The actually making was a little more complicated.
First off, I did not purchase any patterns. Neither did I exactly self-draft patterns. Instead, I took the following pattern and altered the shirt, waist-coat, and coat.
What follows is not necessarily in chronological order, but by article of clothing.
Initially, I was just going to make a regular man's shirt and simply remove some of the sleeve width. Then I got to looking at more pictures and concluded that I could easily alter the shirt to be a proper riding habit shirt.
The waistcoat really went together smoothly. It might be a wee big here and there, but I consider it a smashing success!
The jacket back was PERFECT:
I cut the collar, lapels (they are separate from one another) and the cuffs...from three different materials. The blue, for backing. The buff, for the visible part; and the linen for the facing/stiffening.
The biggest "hitch" in putting the garment together (both lining and shell) was the sleeves. I realized, after I had already cut things out, that I wanted to narrow my sleeves. I ended up doing some weird, random stitching before I realized that my approach was indeed "haphazard" and that I own a tape measure for a reason! :D Suffice to say, that smoothed the process out significantly.
The cuffs actually ended up two different sizes due to the sleeve openings, so I had to work them individually. I started to stitch the lining down around the cuffs and realized two things: a) I had forgotten to actually sew the cuffs on (they were just basted) and b) the sleeve linings were too short to do what I was trying to do. So I did this:
For the skirt, I used another costume pattern...utilizing the "underskirt" from this one:
I am very happy with it.
For "extras", I made a cockade for my hat...and I planned on a stock for my neck, but didn't get it done in time for the first wearing. Not to mention a new chemise, or shift, specifically for 1770's and the bum roll. You will have to satisfy yourself with the knowledge of those latter two...no pictures.